We strongly recommend to book your flight to Horta (the conference venue on Island of Faial, Azores Islands), as soon as possible. The airport code of Horta Airport is "HOR".
When flying through Lisbon, you may either choose
- A direct flight from LIS to HOR (Horta Airport)
- A flight from LIS to HOR via the island of Sao Miguel (João Paulo II Airport; its airport code is PDL)
- A flight from LIS to HOR via the island of Terceira (Lajes Airport; the airport code is TER)
Have a save trip!
Hike to the Top of Mt. Pico across the bay from Horta (not included in the conference fee).
We are planning a hike up Mt Pico on Saturday, September 28 with a guided tour by Naturalist.pt.
The price is a total of 71.00 EUR and the details for the trip are:
- Shuttle service Pick up and Drop off from the Hotel in Horta to Horta Boat Terminal
- Ferry tickets Horta - Madalena - Horta
- Transportation from Madalena Harbour to Casa da Montanha and at the end to the Madalena Harbour again to take the ferry back to Horta.
- Certificate guide service and fees to climb Pico Island.
The Pico Climb is very hard hiking, recommendable only for people physically well prepared. Participants with physical limitations or pregnancy are recommended not do it. The mountain's gradient is 1100 meters up and 1100 meters down (27,50%), walking a distance of about 5 km each way from the Casa da Montanha (1282m) to the top (2351m). The guides estimate 3 hours up and 3 hours down for the hike.
According to the GPS map (https://www.gaiagps.com/hike/258388/montanha-do-pico-via-trilho-do-pico/), the trail is 2.2 miles with an elevation change of 3,500 ft from 4020 ft to 7550 ft, so it is pretty steep.
Since the trail surface most of the time is loose gravel, you will need proper hiking boots for the hike. If you are interested in this hike, please contact Uwe Beuscher (email@example.com) by August 31, so that we can make the appropriate reservation.